Looking for a high quality updated and restored historic, character building? This stunning Second Empire-Style, 9-unit is fully rented and in fantastic condition! Perfectly situated at the corner of 66 Sydney Street and 157, 159 and 161 Princess Street, located right in the heart of the city of Saint John, only one block from King Square! Tenants enjoy a five-minute walk to the City Market, Imperial Theatre, Irving Oil and JDI Headquarters, all three levels of schools, uptown offices, shops, restaurants, clubs and bars. A twelve-minute walks takes you to the harbour’s Boardwalk and Harbour Station for live sports action! Plus, it’s a two-minute walk to the bus line so no need for a car when living here.
History of the home. This home was designed and constructed by prominent Architect/Master Builder, David Dunham, as his personal 8000 square foot residence. Mr. Dunham designed and built many of the most prominent homes in the city. Construction begun in 1878 and was completed in 1881. It is built in the Second Empire style identified by the mansard roof. Note the slate shingles; fine mortar joints between pressed bricks and cut sandstone base as well as window and door entablatures. Of important note is the use of Butternut (now an extinct species of wood) for the original paired entry doors, with their etched glass. The original home consisted of the library, dining room and chapel on the main floor, two sets of double parlours (one for men and one for women) were located on the second floor and seven large bedrooms each with dressing rooms was located on the third floor. The kitchen and servant’s quarters were located in the daylight basement. When Mr. and Mrs. Dunham were entertaining, gentlemen used the 66 Sydney Street covered entrance and ladies used the matching 157 Princess Street entrance.
Although most of Mr. Dunham’s projects were private residences in Saint John, he was responsible for the design and construction of the following commercial commissions.
COMMERCIAL BLOCK, 1878- south side of King St. between Canterbury and Germain. CARLETON Masonic Hall, 1870 Charlotte St. West, 1870 CALVIN CHURCH, on Carleton St c1870 – became the Jewish Synagogue in 1919, now the Cooke Aquaculture Offices. St. Luke’s Anglican Church, 1875
There are five 1-Bedroom units and four 2-Bedroom units. A perfect blending of old-world charm with modern conveniences. The character defining heritage details of this brick & cut sandstone building have been carefully restored by one of the leading heritage conservation architects in the country who has owned the building for the past twenty-five years. Every upgrade and restoration has been meticulously planned and carried out not only above today’s acceptable standards but to last for years to come. Details of historic importance have been carefully saved and preserved, such as exterior cut sandstone detailing, the interior millwork surrounding doors and windows is superb, plaster cornices, medallions and antique light fixtures are all intact! The bathrooms have been upgraded with contemporary fixtures while the kitchens have been upgraded to long lasting industrial quality stainless steel counter tops, back splashes and cabinetry. As we like to say in the industry, “it’s done right”!
The building features 11’ ceilings on the first and second floors, 9’6” ceilings on the third floor and 8’6’-9’ ceilings in the daylight finished original stone basement. The partially above ground basement has larger windows than we normally see allowing in plenty of natural light. Feature walls throughout select apartments boast exposed original brick or stone adding even more character. The Saint John Harbour & Partridge Island can be seen from south & west facing second and third floor windows. The rooms throughout are gracious, sizeable and well-proportioned with original fireplaces (originally coal-burning, now decorative) in every living room and bedroom. Book-matched birch and maple hardwood floors gleam throughout with ceramic tile in the bathrooms.
Updates include thermal pane windows installed to match the original arch top sashes. All masonry has been repointed using lime-based mortar. The roofing has been updated to triple modified membrane on recover board secured with 3’ flange washers and stainless-steel screws with 50-year warranty. No corners cut in this restoration. All new plumbing is upgraded to copper and Pex. Installed are carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, monitored alarm system, and smoke detectors with a fire hydrant nearby. The fire escapes are all intact at the rear of the building with decks at each level for tenants to enjoy the outdoor air and barbequing. The heating is hot water, radiator, oil furnace. Electrical replaced & upgraded to breakers on a 400-amp entrance with a separate panel for each unit plus the common area, so tenants pay their own power bill. There are storm windows and screens for the windows. 1881 meets the 21st century with high-speed internet, Square D electrical as well as 8-strand telephone wiring, fiber-optic and coaxial connectivity in every corner of every room. Ideal for tenants looking to work from home!
All nine units come complete with stoves, fridges & microwaves, six come with stackable washers & dryers and four with dishwashers. There are coin operated washers and dryers for the three units without their own in the apartment.
There are four entries;
66 Sydney Street provides access to a 1-Bedroom loft and a 2- Bedroom apartments on the second and third floors.
157 Princess Street provides access to two 1-Bedroom apartments on the ground floor which feature exposed brick and stone walls.
159 Princess Street provides access to two 1-Bedroom apartments with sleeping lofts. The original chapel remains and is currently an office or bedroom.
161 Princess Street provides access to two units each with a small second bedroom which is frequently used as a home office.
The water and sewer is municipal at a cost of $1000 per year and the property tax is $7,640 for 2023.
Please contact us for complete Financials.
If you’re looking for a very special multi-unit, historic building, all complete and ready to serve your tenants for many years to come, then look no further, this is it. Call or Text Katherine Bacon, Certified Global Luxury Specialist™ at 506-650-8575for more information and your private showing today or Charles Turnbull at 506-636-0748.